Hedwig And The Angry Inch
Nov 2016, New York
Graphic Design, Animation, Projection Design
Hedwig And The Angry Inch is a projection design work for the class "Live Performance". The project includes projection design for three songs from the play Hedwig And The Angry Inch.
Our group chooses The Origin of Love, Sugar Daddy and Tear Me Down these three songs to design the projection contents and stage model for the play.
After Effects, Premiere Pro
CNC, Laser Cut
Part1: Key Words/Concepts
Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a show about a transgender woman performing the story of her life where she searches for identity, completeness and becoming whole.
Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a show about a transgender woman performing the story of her life in a one-night rock music performance on Broadway. Living in East Berlin before the wall's collapse, Hedwig feels like a misfit in her own city, so in pursuit of her "other half" and a happier life, she undergoes a botched sex change operation, and follows her presumed 'other half' to America, only to be abandoned again and again. Through much heartbreak, scandal and losing herself in others along her journey, Hedwig eventually discovers her identity and accepts who she is in real time on stage.
Part2: Image Inspiration
Building Model Box
Set Design Ideas
- Hurt locker Iraqi set is used by Hedwig as a backdrop, they turn it into a USO tour show.
- Hedwig is on tour, there are road cases on stage, Hedwig sings into a road case instead of the oven
- Speaker cluster
- Bomb crater/sandbag centerstage center
- Hedwig spray painted on the tent, they arrived onstage quick and made the best of it
- Theater wall is visible upstage, exit door to back alley shared by Tommy's venue. Large roll gate on the wall
- Hedwig enters from below the stage via a lift in the crater CSC. She exits from the roll gate upstage through a bright light
Stage1: White Model Box
Stage2: Painted Model Box
Ideation for Three Scenes
Scene1: The Origin of Love
Concept: This song represents transition or transformation, part to whole, other half and opposites, through abstract visuals and colors.
The mood of the song is very dreamy and the content is a defining moment in a child's life. Because of this, we will portray the imagery in abstract, use dreamlike style, show abstract visuals such as round shapes being split and coming together, colors, mixing and separation.
Scene2: Tear Me Down
Concept: Sets up the entire show and projections will embrace the journey of Hedwig and her discovery of self and wholeness.
Scene3: Sugar Daddy
Concept: Finding self, accepting self, finding "other half", becoming whole.
Projection Contents Design
Scene1: The Origin of Love
Project on Model Box